1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong size C-drive in system info.

Discussion in 'Older Windows Versions' started by tinbender16, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinbender16

tinbender16 Techie7 New Member

I have an HP computer that had Windows XP on it on C-drive with a recovery copy on D-drive. I removed the recovery partition, formatted the hard drive and installed Windows 98/ME on it. Now when I run fdisk it shows the C-drive as 38Gb, but system information tells me C-drive is only 5 Gb, same as the old recovery drive D. Which is correct? How can I get system info> to show the proper amount?

2. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

FDISKing and FORMATting a used hard disk before a Win95/98/ME install can be very temperamental and should be done in a very specific way to ensure that it works perfectly. FDISK is now reporting what it thinks is the C:\ drive as 38GB but it certainly sounds as though you've accidentally installed Windows 98 onto the 5GB partition, even if it is telling you that that is on the C:\ drive.

3. tinbender16

So is there a solution? Do I need to reformat my hard drive and start over? Does the recovery partition being put on by HP make it hard to remove? Thanks

4. DJNafey

No, you should be able to remove the recovery partition with FDISK without any trouble. From what you said in your first post, it sounds like you removed the 5GB partition, FORMATted without rebooting and caused a FORMAT on the 5GB partition, rather than a FORMAT on the entire disk.

My recommendation is to FDISK again. Use the option to display all existing partitions and then delete every partition that you can see. Reboot and FDISK again. You should now have no partitions at all on the disk. Create one partition that uses all available space on the disk. Reboot again. FDISK to display all partition data - you should see one partition using all the available space. Now you can FORMAT, safe in the knowledge that there's definitely only one partition there and that that one is as big as it can be.

After the FORMAT, install Windows and, in theory at least, it should be able to find no information about any old partitions and it will install exactly as you want it to.

Note that the rebooting IS important to avoid FDISK getting confused :)

5. tinbender16

Thank you for your help. Problem solved! I did have to enter DOS from my boot disk as entering from the command prompt in windows didn't seem to work. Bye.

6. DJNafey

Thanks for letting us know that that sorted it out :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thread has been Resolved and Locked to prevent other users hijacking the thread and to help others know which threads have been Resolved and which are still being worked on.

If you started this thread and the problem returns or the case has not been properly
    Resolved, please send a Private Message to a Moderator of this forum to have the thread opened again. If you have a different problem, please start a new thread.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.