1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop old server

Discussion in 'Older Windows Versions' started by royg, Feb 23, 2007.

1. royg

royg Techie7 New Member

I used to have SBC but switched to RR and began setting up my wireless laptop to share with a new addition of a PC using ethernet card. Decided it was better to keep them separate with another wireless card for PC. Both with windows 2000 and work great. Decided to make laptop a dual monitor since the port and an extra monitor was available. Could not get to work but now laptop shows "Cannot find server - Microsoft Internet Explorer provide by SBC Yahoo! DSL" when I click on E that worked before. PC works fine and the laptop has good internet connection because I can click on icon for "My Network Places" and pull down favorites, click on any site shown and it connects. These sites don't say "provide by SBC Yahoo! DSL". During the sharing phase early on I made several configuration changes but was getting connection. Also contracted adware but used System Mechanics and Spybot to remove but did happen soon after that. Repair tools show to have a clean system now. I also removed and reinstalled IE6 but the dates on some of the files showed later dates so I probably just updated IE6. No luck. Any ideas.

2. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

I'm a little confused by the fact that you've said the Internet connection doesn't work and also that it does. When you select one of your "favourites" under My Network Places, aren't these just shortcuts to shared folders on other PCs or laptops on your network? Or do you have entries with full Internet web site addresses such as "http://www.something.com" ?

3. royg

royg Techie7 New Member

I am also confused since I am new at this but have managed to fix other problems I've had by reading other forumns but this one has me leaning towards desrubbing my laptop. Please stop me if I'm wrong. I cannot connect to the internet by clicking on th "E". It gives me "Cannot find server - Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by SBC Yahoo! DSL". I can go to my desktop which shows "My Network Places" icon and click on any of my favorites shown and it will connect. What I notice is that the Active/Inactive display on the top of my screen does not have the wording "provided by SBC Yahoo! DSL". In that website, I can contine to connect until it shows "provided by SBC Yahoo! DSL" which will then give me the basic "the page cannot be displayed" on the screen. I can copy that address from that page and paste it into the "My Network Places" address bar and it will connect to the site. As long as it does not have the wording "provided by SBC Yahoo! DSL". I am writing this from my other home pc which works great even when I click on the "E". This pc has never had the software for SBC installed on it which the laptop did. I changed to RR since then and after the change, the laptop used to work but I cannot tell you if the "provided by SBC Yahoo! DSL" was shown while it worked. I thing it was but can't say for sure. I appreciate you responding to my problem because for a while there, I thought I didn't enter it correctly because I had no responses. I know you guys have better things to do then to freely solve all the newly wannabe computer geeks but this **** is addicting. My wife's honeydo list has been put on hold since I've invested in computers but finding ways to use it for her benefit keeps her at bay.

4. DJNafey

And that's definitely a web site on the Internet such as http://www.google.com or something like that?

Sounds to me like your Internet Explorer is corrupted or incorrectly configured. A quick thing to check would be to open Internet Explorer, select Options from the Tools menu and then click the Connection tab. Click the LAN Settings button. Ensure that the settings relating to "proxy server" are disabled and that the setting to "Automatically detect settings" is enabled.

Let us know if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, I think that you'll need a re-install of Internet Explorer.

5. royg

royg Techie7 New Member

LAN settings on automatically detect and proxy server box not checked and grayed out for address. I will go into Add/Remove Programs then click on Add/Remove Windows Components. Make sure that I only have Internet Explorer checked but how do I reinstall Internet Explorer if I need to click on this to get back on the web? Do I go through the "My Network Places" like I do to get on line?

6. DJNafey

Once you've removed Internet Explorer, reboot the PC. It might have to do some clearing up the next time you log in so give it a couple of minutes and then reboot a second time. Then simply go back into Add/Remove Programs and add Internet Explorer again. If you can get onto the Internet at that point, go to www.microsoft.com/downloads and install Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 if you are not running Windows XP (XP already has this version or later).

Let us know if that cures it :)

7. royg

royg Techie7 New Member

I tried to remove Internet Explorer from the Add/Remove Programs - Add/Remove Windows Components and rebooted twice but the icons are still there and the file under C:\Programs\Internet Explorer is still there. I'm guessing that I need to fully remove this before reinstalling. I am using Windows 2000 Professional. I went into the Start, Programs, Internet Explorer to see if it had an uninstall option but no luck. I have System Mechanics Professional 6 and believe it has an add and remove option so I will try that removing it from there unless you have another way.

8. DJNafey

It's funny that you should say that, actually, as I had to do exactly the same thing on a Windows 2000 laptop on Thursday and it didn't work for me first time either. Give it another go. I think I had to remove it 3 times from Add/Remove Programs before it went. You'll probably have more chance of it removing properly if you do it straight after a reboot.

Failing that, download Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 and install it over the top of what you've already got.