1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another Sims 2 Installation error

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by PalmTrees, Jul 9, 2006.

1. PalmTrees

PalmTrees Techie7 New Member

Problem:

I've been trying all day to install Sims 2 on a new computer to no avail. The error that I constantly receive is as follows:

"A problem occurred when trying to transfer the file 'TSBin\Sims2.exe' from the media.

Do you want to retry to copy the file, or cancel the installation?"

The options are: Retry and Cancel.

Pushing Cancel ends the installation. Pressing Retry will bring out this error again.

System Specs:

Processor: AMD 64 3000+
    Ram: 2G
    HD: 40G and 232G (sims dvd image and sims installed on 232G drive)
    Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT

All of this = more than enough to run Sims 2... certainly enough to install it :p

What I've done:

I've done a fair amount of research and have noticed that many others have also had this problem, however, I believe that mine is rather unique. The error is deceptive in that it appears to be due to a scratch on the dvd or faulty dvd drive -- or even a psuedo drive interfering with the installation. I know for a fact it is not. I conducted the following to ensure my conclusion:

1) Checked the dvd for scratches/smudges/etc
    2) Checked the drive with other dvd's
    3) Copied all contents of the dvd to my hard drive and attempted an install directly from the hard drive.
    4) Closed and demounted all pseudo drives

The results are always the same, regardless of these attempts.

I have also attempted all the advice provided by:

DLA threads
    http://www.d-a-l.com/help/showthread.php?t=36266&highlight=sims+instal

http://www.d-a-l.com/help/showthread.php?t=35771

EA official help thread
    http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cf...3RleHQ9SW5zdGFsbGF0aW9uIGNk&p_li=&p_topview=1

Still, no results.

I have also attempted removing all previous EA data from my computer and this did not help. Also, changing the InstallShield folder name doesn't help either. Both of these, I believe, were suggested in the threads above.

Google searches yield little to no aid, though they do explain that Windows XP may cause problems with Service Pack 2. I have XP and SP2 on my machine. Yet, these problems are often caused when the game is running. I can't even install the game.

Once in a blue moon the game will install for some unknown reason. When that happens, I cannot play the game because of some error (0x000005). I think this error is due to a faulty instillation. What's more, the error is called "failed to initialize properly". this leads me to believe that it's origin is indeed a faulty installation.

Request

I realize that I am new on these boards, so I apologize if my question is not of the expected format. Any advice concerning my problem is greatly appreciated. I've almost given up on this game, which pains me because I do love the Sims. This forum is just about my last resort. Thanks for your time.

One last thing... a reformat of my HD is not a solution I'm willing to try... though this was suggested on some other forums. A little extreme for a game, me thinks. No matter if the game is a source of endless entertainment.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  2. clairelovestlc

clairelovestlc Techie7 New Member

Hello and welcome to D-A-L

Your right it is a very commen problem, i help a bit on the technical section of the sims2 forums, but you seem to have already tried everything i ususaly suggest!

Your pc spec isnt the problem as although it wont let you run everything on max settings smoothly, it should run perfectly fine, which is leading me to believe there is a problem with the disk you have!

How long ago did you buy it? if you can take it back to where you bought it from and exchange it, thats what i would do.

If not depending where you live EA give you a 90 day warantee for faults like that and may replace the disk depending where your live

3. PalmTrees

Well, unfortunately I don't think the dvd disk is to fault because Sims 2 installed just fine on the older machine and unless something drastic happened in the time the disk spent unused in the closet, then it should be in good condition. It can't be a scratch because I've had a fair amount of experience with damaged disks and know that they can take a lot more punishment then what's visible on the dvd.

Sadly replacement is not possible... well not free replacement at least. It's been well over 90 days since purchase.

I'm currently sending a support email to ea games via customer service. In the event that any new information is given, I'll certainly update this post. As of yet, I've recieved no official response, though they promise one in 24hours. Let's just hope their autoresponse explaining how to include your system specs is not said email.

I'll also be attempting to temporarily swap dvd drives with another machine to see if it's the dvd drive itself. The drive I'll be swapping with is from the old machine that installed Sims 2 previously. I've had problems with my current drive in times past and have read online that Lite-On isn't exactly renowned for reliability. With any luck it's not my drive, though.

Anyway thanks for the response.

4. PalmTrees

After some dialogue with EA games tech help, I've achieved moderate success in installing Sims 2. Why moderate? Well the game doesn't run :mad: It crashes with the following error:

"the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application."

My video drivers are completely up to date as well as XP. Has anyone else encountered this sort of problem?

BTW, this is how I finally got Sims 2 installed, though it could have been a fluke, as such a fluke has happened before.

1) Start computer in safe mode
    i) If you're computer is on, restart it.
    ii) When the computer boots up, press and hold F8
    iii) You may receive an error due to holding F8 for too long. If so, just tap F8 a few times.
    iv) Select "safe mode" from the menu

2) Install Sims 2 from dvd or cd's.
    i) A possible alternative is installing it from your HD, but I've had no success using that method in either safe mode or normal mode.

If you are having the same issues as I, then you'll likely have the same problems running the game as well. So I think these two problems are related and thus I posted them here in the same thread, instead of starting a new one.

Well, does anyone have advice? I'll continue dialogue with EA and post updates here.

5. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

6. PalmTrees

A bitter sweet end... well much more bitter than sweet

Title: A bitter sweet end... well much more bitter than sweet

As the subject suggests, this story ends with tears.

Okay, so I solved the

"the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Turns out that everything before this post was caused by a crappy dvd drive. Yes. You read it right. My drive is utterly incapable of reading the Sims 2 dvd properly. I discovered this by swapping dvd drives with a computer known to run Sims 2 properly. I installed Sims 2 using the other dvd drive successfully. So, BE ADVISED, IF YOU OWN A LITE-ON DVD PLAYER MODEL: SOHD-16 P9SV05C, YOU MAY BE UNABLE TO READ CERTAIN DVD DISKS. If you own one of these like me, you were probably attracted to the irresistable cheap price. Well for some games like Sims 2, you're probably in for one heck of a head ache.

So now that Sims 2 is installed... it runs. WOW. Very surprised. But, then I installed the expansions... one by one they all loaded until I hit the recent Business expansion and Family Stuff add on. Guess what? Turns out I own a NVidia GeForce 6600 that happens to use the latest Nvidia drivers. Which means I can't run Sims 2 now at all because apparently there's a known compatability issue with this driver. Frustrated, I went to EA again for advice. They said to load an older driver and I did. Not only does this older driver cause my monitor to refresh at an unacceptably low rate, it also is not capable of wide screen ratios for my wide screen monitor. Another head ache. What's more, the Sims 2 doesn't even run anyway because the old driver is incompatible with the version of Direct X needed to run the game. Oh. My. God.

EDIT: Now discovered that the Direct X problem is false. Instead, the game crashes due to some other mysterious reason. In any case, it crashes before the game even begins to load.

So now I'm stuck here waiting for EA to make a patch so I can run Sims 2 and all the expansions using the latest Nvidia driver. I don't expect said patch to come out any time soon. I don't expect said patch to come out at all!

Sadly, I've walked away from this rather bitter. The only happy note is that this forum has been a pleasant experience and EA was responsive to my questions. Still, 3.27gigs of unused gaming potential lying dormant on my hard drive as a testiment to the hours upon hours of tortuous experimentation and research that ultimately resulted in nothing more than mental strain jerks at the heart every time I look at it. :mad:

Well, sorry for being rather irrate on this post. I think anyone who's had my issues deserves a fair analysis before they spend the time I did.

I consider this issue as resolved as possible, lest someone has something else to add.

-Palmtrees

EDIT: found what was going on with the old drivers and fixed the problem. Everything runs smoothly now, except Sims (which crashes). For the curious, the problem was that when you restart your computer after installing the older NVidia drivers, you should choose to "restart later". If you don't then you'll end up starting a new instance of the installation upon rebooting. This will result in your computer not having any drivers. Consequently, everything runs like crap. If you choose "restart later", you can press "finish" and then when you reboot, the settings will be just fine. You'll even have proper aspect ratios for wide screens :D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006