1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

write protect error

Discussion in 'Older Windows Versions' started by kindaunique, Apr 11, 2005.

1. kindaunique

kindaunique Techie7 New Member

I'am trying to reformat, and reload windows 98se on my old pc, but when I get to the point, where I'am trying to format, I have been guided to get the format.com utility by typing in extract ebd.cab format.com, when I do this, I get the reply , write protect error writing drive a .
    what else can I do ?

2. Bad Karma[CORE]

Bad Karma[CORE] Techie7 New Member

First check the write protection on the floppy disk :)
    Second check the correct syntax of the extract command. I think its like:

extract /a D:\ebd.cab format.com /l a:\
    This would assume that your CD drive is D:
    Or even simpler: Donwload it from http://www.uv.tietgen.dk/staff/mlha/Download/DOS/#FORMAT

3. kindaunique

kindaunique Techie7 New Member

Hi I'am doin this for the first time , so was going on a page from this site,I never checked to see, if the diskette was write protected, it was, so I have now gotten beyond that point, but am now having problems getting the cd to boot, to load the operating system, it seems the cd drive, is drive F, but when I try to run setup.exe, it tells me, I cannot do this in dos mode, I appreciate your reply, and help, thanks again, and if you have any further advice It would be much appreciated.

4. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

It ought to be OK if you're doing the following:

a) Booting from a Windows 98 floppy disk;
    b) Selecting the option from the menu to Start the PC with CD-ROM support.

If that's what you're doing, you'll see various bits of DOS output on the screen after you've selected that option. It will go through a bit that says it's looking for a CD-ROM drive, which might mention MSCDEX (haven't done this for a while - I can't quite picture it at the moment). Then it should say something like "1 drive found - CDROM = drive F".

Then it will proceed to create a temporary "RAM drive" and will say something like "RAMDrive = drive D:"

Is that what you've got? Can you confirm which letters is it using? If you try it again and you can't tell, we can talk you through finding out but it's pretty long-winded to explain.

5. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

That's about it except for the order. ;>) (edited to clarify.....)

a) Boot from a Windows 98 floppy disk;
    b) Start the PC with CD-ROM support.

various bits of DOS output on the screen

create a temporary "RAM drive" and will say something like
    "Tools successfully loaded to RAMDrive D:"

looking for a CD-ROM drive, which might mention MSCDEX [it does]
    CDROM = Drive F

This is about the point where you get the A:\> prompt. You should still have the CDROM letter assigned to your CD drive on the screen just above. Some bootdisks will assign R.

So please answer DJNafey's questions......

Is that what you've got?

Can you confirm which letters is it using?

(By the way DJNafey, your link to the Fresh 98 install in your signature isn't working. I get an empty page.)

6. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

Thanks for clarifying that Dan (I've updated my links too) :)