1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please Pentium 3 and fan

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by yumzone, Sep 3, 2004.

1. yumzone

yumzone Techie7 New Member

Hi there

I would appreciate some help.
    My computer has been making some noise for some time now, when i open it up it seems to be coming from the fan and the pentium area. So perhaps I need a new fan and pentium? what do you think.

If so I have looked on ebay and there are a few pentium 3 chips with fans for sale at very low prices. :confused: could be a good start?

My systsm tells me I have a pentium 3 5oomhz.
    Could somebody who is in the know tell me is it a case of just swapping these parts? what if i get a pentium 3 800mhx would that make a difference.
    Is there more to it than just looking for those two numbers?

I would appreciate any help that can be offered as im wanting to get this problem sorted i dont want the system to go bang on me.

Looking forward to some advise.

Yummy

2. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

OK - two parts to this.

If my fan area is noisy, should I change the fan and processor?
    Nope. Your fan might just need to be removed and put back on in the right position if it has moved a little over the last few years and started vibrating. Or it might just be full of dust and need removing from the PC and then brushing out / vacuuming out. A brand new fan will cost hardly anything and, depending on what you buy, it is likely to be quieter ..... but changing the Pentium III processor is very unlikely to make any additional difference.

Can I change my Pentium III 500MHz processor (CPU) for an 800MHz processor?
    Only if your motherboard supports it. Also note that Pentium III processors also come in two different shapes. There's the long rectangular cartridge, which you've probably got - this fits into "slot 1". Newer (i.e. faster) Pentium III processors are more likely to be small square units that fit flat onto the motherboard (rather than standing away from it) in "Socket 370". Whatever it is you've got now, you can't fit the other type .... unless you buy an adaptor and these are now becoming hard to find. You need to check your motherboard manual for details of what processor speed it can support.

If you're still confused, please do run the D-A-L.com Online Hardware Scan (a link to this is in my signature below) and we will be happy to find out for you :)

3. yumzone

i have run the process you said and this is what I cam up with sorry i dont understand a lot of it so if you could help that would be great

-------------------------------------------------------

OS Information:
    PropertyValue
    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
    Service Pack 2.0
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

Processor:
    PropertyValue
    Current Clock Speed 501
    Description x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3
    Manufacturer GenuineIntel
    Name Intel Pentium III processor

Memory (RAM):
    PropertyValue
    Bank Label RAS 1 & 0
    Capacity 268435456

Bank Label RAS 3 & 2
    Capacity 268435456

Total Memory Deteced in Hardware: ~512 MB
    Memory Reported to Operating System: 511MB

Disk Drives:
    PropertyValue
    Description Disk drive
    Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
    Model FUJITSU MPE3136AT
    Media Type Fixed hard disk media
    Size 13662190080 (~13 GB)
    Number of Partitions 1

Installed Printers:
    PropertyValue
    Name hp deskjet 845c
    Port Name USB001
    Default True
    Driver Name hp deskjet 845c

Motherboard:
    PropertyValue
    Manufacturer
    Model
    Name Base Board
    Part Number
    Product
    Serial Number
    Version

BIOS:
    PropertyValue
    Manufacturer Award Software International, Inc.
    Name Award Modular BIOS v4.60PGMA
    Release Date 19991210000000.000000+000
    Version AWARD - 42302e31

Monitor:
    PropertyValue
    Description Plug and Play Monitor
    Name Plug and Play Monitor
    Screen Height 768
    Screen Width 1024

Keyboard:
    PropertyValue
    Description Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Pointing Device:
    PropertyValue
    Manufacturer Logitech
    Name Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2

Sound Card:
    PropertyValue
    Manufacturer Creative Technology Ltd.
    Description Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
    Device ID PCI\VEN_1274&DEV_5880&SUBSYS_20001274&REV_02\3&61AAA01&0&50

Manufacturer ESS Technology, Inc.
    Description ESS 1969 PCI AudioDrive (WDM)
    Device ID PCI\VEN_125D&DEV_1969&SUBSYS_8888125D&REV_01\3&61AAA01&0&68

Video Card:
    PropertyValue
    Adapter Compatibility NVIDIA
    Adapter RAM 67108864
    Description NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
    Installed Display Drivers nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version 6.14.10.5216
    Driver Date 10/06/2003 14:16:00
    Video Mode Description 1024 x 768 x 4294967296 colors

DirectX Installation:
    PropertyValue
    Version 6.03.01.0146

Modem:
    PropertyValue

Network Adapters:
    PropertyValue
    Description Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Description RAS Async Adapter
    Description Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Description WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    Description WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    Description WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    Description Direct Parallel
    Description WAN Miniport (IP)
    Description Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Description Microsoft TV/Video Connection

External Ports:
    PropertyValue
    External Reference Designator
    External Reference Designator Detected

Expansion Slots:
    PropertyValue
    Slot Designation ISA
    Slot Designation PCI
    Slot Designation PCI
    Slot Designation PCI
    Slot Designation AGP
    -------------------------------------------------------

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ASK THE FOLLOWING

1) The Fan makes noise and needs a clean or i replace it.
    2)How would I take the fan out? or what fan do i ask for if i was to buy replacement?
    3)the noise in the computer gets very loud at start up and when it is thinking ie doing lots of work could this be noise from the fan and or the harddrive.
    If the hard drive is making loud whirring noises or any of the other components do they need replacing.
    4) It seems like im pulling my hair out lol :eek:
    I think that evreything that could go wrong by maing a nose is. God only knows where to start. Maybe the fan is the first place but i need to know what to buy and how to get the thing out and in lol i dont ask much do i

I really do appreciate the advise given by anybody

Yummy

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  4. DJNafey

Upgrading the CPU
    Oh damn, the bit that I particularly wanted to see was the motherboard detail:

Motherboard:
    PropertyValue
    Manufacturer
    Model
    Name Base Board
    Part Number
    Product
    Serial Number
    Version

But it doesn't appear to have worked on that section of the scan. Hmmmm. Maybe I can find out some info based in the BIOS number or something. Might take me a while.

Removing the fan
    If your processor is the square socket 370 type (I'll found out in a minute when I research the results from your scan), then removing the fan is normally easy. Push down on the metal catch, pushing it away from the socket - it will 'unlock' itself from the socket and you'll be able to lift it off. If you've got a slot 1 type processor, then I'm not too sure as there were a couple of different fan designs. You might find that the fan is held on by some metal pins that go through to the back of the processor. As on the other type, you should be able to push the pins and wiggle them out of the bit that they've locked themselves into. If you spend a minute or two wiggling it all around (best to lift the processor out of the slot so you don't damage anything), then you should see how it fits together.

What's a fan and what's a heatsink?
    The fan is the round spinny thing that's a bit dusty! It is normally secured onto the heatsink, which is the large metal construction about the same length as the processor and made up of finned sections to dissipate as much heat as possible (just like a radiator in a car). It is secured directly onto the side of the slot 1 processor (or, in the case of a square socket 370 processor, it sits directly on top of it). New fans normally come as a heatsink and fan all-in-one unit. If you go to a shop for a new one, you just need to ask for a "heatsink and fan for a slot 1 processor" or a "heatsink and fan for a socket 370 processor". Even if they do sell them as separate parts, it would be best to buy both a heatsink and a fan at the same time so that you know that they will be a compatible fitting.

I would also like to ask the following.......
    Sorry but you reached the limit of how much you can write in one response so it clipped off the end of your reply. What was the other thing you wanted to ask?

5. yumzone

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ASK THE FOLLOWING

1) The Fan makes noise and needs a clean or i replace it.
    2)How would I take the fan out? or what fan do i ask for if i was to buy replacement?
    3)the noise in the computer gets very loud at start up and when it is thinking ie doing lots of work could this be noise from the fan and or the harddrive.
    If the hard drive is making loud whirring noises or any of the other components do they need replacing.
    4) It seems like im pulling my hair out lol
    I think that evreything that could go wrong by maing a nose is. God only knows where to start. Maybe the fan is the first place but i need to know what to buy and how to get the thing out and in lol i dont ask much do i

I really do appreciate the advise given by anybody

Yummy

BTW your up late lol

6. yumzone

I downloaded this little programm http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z123.zip
    once opened it gave me all this information:

CPU
    Processor - Intel Pentium III
    Code name: Katami
    Package - Slot 1 SECC2
    Technology - 0.25
    Specification: Intel Pentium III 500mhz
    Family 6
    Model 7
    Stepping 3
    Ext. Family 0
    Revision kCO
    Instructions: MMX SSE

Clocks
    Core Speed 501.1mhz
    Mulitiplier x5.0
    FSB 100.2 MHZ
    Bus Speed: 100.2mhz

Motherboard
    Shows nothing under manufacturer and model
    Chipset Intel i440BX/ZX
    Southbridge: Intel 82371 (pix4)

Wow all numbers and thinsg to me does any of that help
    Yummy

7. DJNafey

Ah, nice one :) You've definitely got a slot 1 processor.

Still don't know what your motherboard will support though. Think that will take some rather in-depth investigating. Sure you don't have a manual for it?

With regard to removing the fan, it's probably combined with the heatsink so it will be something along the lines of those vague instructions I gave earlier! Look for a metal clip securing the heatsink / fan to the processor (the big long black "cartridge"). There ought to be some way of releasing the catch on it so that it comes off. Will be tight though.

When you go in the shop, any computer shop assistant should understand what you mean when you say "I need a heatsink and fan for a slot 1 processor". If they don't understand, ask to speak to someone else! You really can't say it any more simply than that!

You could, of course, take it with you to the shop and say "I want a new one of these" !

8. DJNafey

lol, yes, you're right. I've got to be at work in five and a half hours ..... I really must get to bed!

9. yumzone

ahhh brilliant I have been up all night trying to get the thing out. at 4.45am I managed it. Wow now Im going to have a cuppa and go to the shop when they open and see if that solves the problem. Just one question. The pentium itself wouldnt be making a noise would it? :confused:
    Many thanks
    Yummy

10. DJNafey

No, the processor itself won't be making any noise at all.

11. yumzone

Well i did it but the computer is still making noise. maybe its the hard drive ive had that 4 years +
    Poo hoo

12. DJNafey

Does the computer make a noise all the time? Has it only just started or has it been getting worse for a while?

13. yumzone

no it seems to be on start up and the calms down but then it may come on again for no reason that I can see, Its had a new power supply and case everything is screwed in tight. its like a whirring noise. maybe its just coz its old.
    Yummy

14. DJNafey

It's not a CD in the CDROM drive is it?