1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Installer Issues on 2000 pro

Discussion in 'Older Windows Versions' started by ktbug7, Jan 18, 2005.

1. ktbug7

ktbug7 Techie7 New Member

I'm having issues w/ my computer starting up all the way. I'm getting the message: ' The Loader can not find the file C:\DOCUME~\MARSH~1.MAR\LOCAL~1\Temp\InstMsiW.exe file necessary to load the windows installer '
    Now i installed a new program today, that said i needed to put in the windows installer w/ it..so i did. Everything was running fine until i restarted my computer. It will get to right before everything loads, then that mesage pops up, i can see my wallpaper in the background even, but i just press ok, and it comes up again and again and again. This is driving me nuts..and if anyone can help, I will be eternally gratful! Oh yea, and I run 2000 pro, as said i said in the title of the thread.

-Katie

2. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

The program that you've installed today has a problem in its installation routine. What has happened is that it has created some temporary files in your Temp directory (including InstMsiW.exe) and has then used those temporary files to install the program from. When you rebooted the PC, the installation routine removed those temporary files. When you logged into Windows, the new program tried to finish off the installation by looking for the InstMsiW.exe file but it wasn't there because it had already been automatically deleted.

This is a common problem and the cause is simply poor coding in the installation routine (or involvement from a third party that deleted the temporary files that the installation routine hadn't finished using).

To try to resolve the issue, reboot the PC and, when you get the message saying that InstMsiW.exe cannot be find, click Cancel instead of OK. Run the installation program again. If it detects that the software is installed, it may give you an option to repair the existing installation. If it doesn't detect that the software is installed, it will try to install it again from scratch. Either way, it might sort itself out on its second attempt.

Let us know how you get on :)

If you still have problems, let us know what program, including the version, it is that you're trying to install.

3. ktbug7

The only option i have on the pop-up box is to click ok. I tried to x out of it, but it just comes back, and comes back and comes back. Windows won't load any further..just stays there, w/ the box. I tried to reinstall the program in safe mode, but that won't work, and i can't uninstall the program in safe mode either. Any ideas?
    The progam is: The OT1 font manager http://www.ot1fontmanager.com/en/ v 2.2
    Thanks for your help!

-Katie

4. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

5. ktbug7

So sad, that won't work in safe mode either! nothing seems to work in safe mode.

-Katie

6. jephree

can you do a search for font manager &/or ot1 & try to manualy delete the files?

here is a good tool that would allow you to stop that program from trying to start:

X-Setup Pro 6.6

7. ktbug7

I don't even know where do to begin with the x-setup pro. Where do i need to go? and will it uninstall the font program?

-Katie

8. jephree

I just found this program myself so I will walk thru... (just close all the tip windows as they occur)

Open in Classic ... startup/ shutdown ... startup ... win2k ... autorun part 1 ... autorun programs ... (if you see the font thing delete)

then ... autorun 2 ... then ... windows launch ... startup group

if nothing shows there try : system ... software installation ... add/ remove programs

9. jephree

just a second thought as I had assumed you downloaded it & were looking for guidence.

if you are asking about how to download then click download and save the zip file to your desktop. you will need an "unzipping" program to extract the setup file. if you dont have one this is a good free one:

ultimate zip

this will unzip the file which you can open & run the setup.

sorry if i misunderstood the original question :eek:

10. ktbug7

Thanks for all your help thus far, Just to claify, I have the program already installed, and i used it once, then when i restarted, that's when i got all my problems. It doesn't matter if i take it off, leave it whatever, I just want to be able to get past this Windows installer error, preferably w/o having to do something drastic like reformating. I went ahead and did what you said, and the only place it came up was in the add/remove bit, so i removed it, restarted, and still, I get the error. The program isnt' installed on C..does that make a difference?

-Katie

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  11. jephree

maybe...

your original post said the error was ' The Loader can not find the file C:\DOCUME~\MARSH~1.MAR\LOCAL~1\Temp\InstMsiW.exe file necessary to load the windows installer '

where did you install it? another partition? another drive?

if you installed to F: (for example) can you find the file F:\DOCUME~\ etc. ?

maybe try moving it to C: :confused:

12. ktbug7

It's installed on my D drive, which is just a slave drive, and it doesn't have the Documents and Settings files. I'm tempted just to reformat, even though that's a huge hassle, and it's not something i'm very fond of doing. So if anyone has anything else for me to try..i'm all for it..haha.

-Katie

13. jephree

just reviewing the font site

i noticed the 2000 special instructions. did you follow this setup? or does it mean anything to you?

win2000

14. ktbug7

yea, cause i read it all before i installed anything. Then i tired it once, because it said that if you got that certain message to put the file in with it. So that's what I did. I put them all in the same folder, ran the setup, and didnt' have any problems. Until I restarted the computer that is..haha.
    I'm thinking about doing this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q315346 however, i'll have to do it all from safe mode, and i dont' know if that's possible.

-Katie

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  15. jephree

good find!

worth a try!

16. ktbug7

I tried it. Didn't work. Blah..i did however, figure out how to install the windows installer clean up, didn't work either. So i'm back at square one.

-Katie

17. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

Here's another suggestion: Boot your PC into Safe Mode. Click the Start Menu > Search > Files or Folders. Search for the InstMsiW.exe file on 'All Hard Drives' or on the C:\ drive and then on the D:\ drive.

If you can find it anywhere, copy it to the "C:\Documents and Settings ......" folder where the font install program is expecting to find it. Then reboot normally and see if it works.

I've got a feeling that InstMsiW.exe is a general Windows Installer component, not something specific to your font program. Perhaps if you could run an installation routine from another modern program (i.e. a 2000 version or later), then that might copy in the same file that your font program's installation routine needs. You'd obviously have to be able to do this in Safe Mode though and I don't know how many programs will install from Safe Mode. If I had to pick one that was most likely to, I'd say that an anti-virus program such as Norton Anti-Virus should.

18. ktbug7

it worked!! yay! I went and re-installed Office Xp pro, and it restarted just fine! I no longer have the error from hell, and i can now use my computer, and everything is good. Man I'm so happy. Thank you everyone for your help, it's very much appreciated!!

-Katie

19. moromendas01

moromendas01 Techie7 New Member

I tried to get out of it, merely it just comes back, and comes back as well as comes back. Windows won't load any further..just stays there the box.